Saturday 3 September 2011

A new dawn


And so I joined the sisterhood of the skinny & easily 'stylable' locks. Twenty six hours labour over 2 days and my sisterlocks were born. Oh my tailbone! But hey ho! I coveted  sisterlocks and by hook or by crook I was gonna get 'em. My loctitian estimated 480 locks. An actual count is pending. I started with a head of all natural hair up to 5" long. I can't tell you what hair type I have, except to say on installation day, my hair  was hard to the touch and even harder to comb through. My poor Consultant Trainee resorted to dipping her fingers in water to get it to behave some. That's not my hair's usual behaviour though. My hair is not very dense, perhaps medium dense hair on a big head. It is usually quite soft and springy, even without conditioner. I guess I can narrow down my hair's unusual behaviour to some over zealous scrubbing of the the scalp with baking soda + coconut oil followed by an apple cider vinegar rinse the day before locking. The aim was to be rid of spots of dry flaky skin on the scalp.  It seems to have worked.


I guess I noticed sisterlocks in the community because natural hair is where my head has been for a long while now. I just got fed up with all the hair drama. The more I noticed ill fitting wigs, that looked like hats on their wearers the more I decided on a natural hair solution for me.  Sisterlocks was that solution.


I want to thank all the sisterlocked women I stopped in supermarkets, on the street, at stations to marvel at their sisterlocks and ask a myriad of questions. Thank you for your patience and enthusiasm and allowing me to touch your hair. More thanks to the Consultant Trainees I contacted in the South East/West London areas.  I was awed by your willingness to spend your time on the phone with me and the selfless advice and recommendations of other consultants and trainees who either lived closer to me or had earlier availability. I was a sister in a hurry to get locked.

I am looking forward to my hair evolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment