Wednesday 7 September 2011

Wig, what wig? Gotta own the locks from the word go!


To think I thought of wearing a wig over my locks. The shame of it all.

Two days ago I attempted styling by using twist rods. The rods were a bit too big for my 5" lock length in that they gave me large curls that did nothing to minimise the so called "plucked chicken" look. At that time, two days ago, I was seriously contemplating getting to the hair store for a wig. Anyhow, come bed time, a wig cap over a satin bonnet gave me the compacted look you see in my profile picture and the scalpy look didn't seem so bad after all.

I did go to the hair shop yesterday and I am glad to say I bought no wig. I came out armed with rubber bands,  a silky hair scarf and pillowcase and small sized form rollers. I couldn't believe how little I spent. I was pleased and very smug about my decision to lock my natural hair. So smug in fact I found myself looking down at 'lye-ing' sisters in the shop. I was once a fully paid up member of that sorority - so I had to check myself. Natural hair epiphanies are personal. I am glad I had mine, just wish it came by sooner.

I've just finished curling my locks using small form rollers. Looking forward to see how that turns out. Check out my efforts in the picture above. I don't plan on too much styling as I rather like freestyle locks. I really just want to minimise the scalpy look until I fill in a bit more. My hair line is a whole other discussion. Will tackle that in another post.

Lock count: I doubt I have the estimated 480 locks on my head. Curled in bunches of 10 and I have not used 48 curlers - Again another post altogether.

And, and, I have my very first follower. Welcome motiv8ed4trubeauty . (click & Link)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on starting your loc journey. I'll be following.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the world of sisterlocks, great to see another uk sister! All the best on your journey

    ReplyDelete